Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wicca for Teens

So I'm working through the nominated titles on the Popular Paperbacks list for YALSA, right?

And I come to it. Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf. I've had this in my library's collection for quite a while now. I even had to buy another copy when my copy went "missing". I'm not sure what I was expecting. This was my first nonfiction book on Wicca. I've read fictional books like Blue is for nightmares and other such titles, but never nonfiction. First of all, I don't enjoy reading nonfiction. I tend to put it down and stop reading. But this is for YALSA, so I couldn't put it down even if I had wanted to, which I didn't.

Teen Witch walks the reader through the fundamentals of the Wiccan faith. She speaks in a frank tone that fits naturally in this teacher-student relationship she builds with the reader. She also speaks to concerned family members trying to quell the fears they have of their beloved son or daughter becoming involved with the Craft.

For those of you interested in learning more about Wicca and want to learn more about the rituals, faith, and spellcasting that can be involved, I'd suggest you pick this title up and read it. It'll give you a much better picture of what it really is all about, unlike the images we see on TV and in the movies.

1 comment:

MelissaB said...

Hi I was looking up blogs with silver ravenwolf and I found your blog. let me tell you it is nice to find someone who also enjoys silver ravenwolf's books. I find alot of people don't like her. I happy to find you not discriminating againist her. So . . . Do you follow the Wiccan faith