Saturday, July 14, 2012

100 Unforgettable Dresses

Before I moved to Arizona, I did weekly movies with my sister and my mom. I watched all the awards shows with them. We enjoyed finding out who won what award, but what we loved to watch was the red carpet and the commentary on the dresses. Sometimes we agreed, sometimes we disagreed. And of course, we always voiced our own thoughts on the outfits. Remember Bjork's swan dress? Memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.

When I saw Hal Rubenstein's book, 100 Unforgettable Dresses, I was reminded of those award show days with my mom and sister. And since my mom passed away earlier this year, it was a bittersweet memory. I immediately opened the book and flipped through it. For fans of fashion, you'll want to read this book--or at least flip through it and see how many dresses you may recall. There are wedding dresses, red carpet dresses, dresses from films, and special sections on icons like Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly. Rubenstein discusses each dress and style with wit and knowledge.

While this isn't a teen title, anybody who enjoys fashion and celebrities will enjoy this book. And if you watch the red carpets you definitely need to read this one. I think I may have to pick it up for my sister for her birthday.

No comments: