Friday, July 28, 2006

Random Quizzes Are Never Wrong!


So my boss (the lovely and talented Susan) sent me a link to this quiz. I took it with relish -- I mean, who doesn't want to know which teen angst novel they are?

So I took the quiz, and the novel that I turned out to be was Boy Proof, by Cecil Castellucci.

Long time readers of this blog will no doubt note that I have very specific tastes in my reading. I like sci-fi, I love fantasy, I will dabble in horror, and I'll give anything in graphic novel format a second look -- but beyond that... well, it's hard to get me to read outside my comfort zone. You could say it's like pulling teeth. Impacted teeth.

So ordinarily, getting me to pick up a chick-lit-esque, kinda frothy romance like Boy Proof would be a hard sell. But the quiz had said I would like it -- and if you can't trust an Internet quiz, who can you trust?

Boy Proof is all about Egg, a serious misfit who has shaved her head and wears a white cloak everywhere. Just like her favorite character in Terminal Earth, her favorite sci-fi movie. Egg's mom, a sort-of washed up actress, insists on calling her Victoria, and all the kids at school have decided she's a total weirdo. Which is fine with Egg, who would rather be with her dad working on monster make-up and effects in his workshop.

Just when Egg has worked herself into a cozy little rut, counting the days till high school is over, Max Carter shows up. Wicked smart, funny and way into art and expression, Max would never, ever pay attention to a girl like Egg -- would he? And if he would, why does he have to be so darn annoying?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out where this is going, right? While Boy Proof isn't the most surprising book, it is a fun and fast read, with a unique and, I must say, irritating, lead character. So thank you, Internet quiz, for getting me to read it.

2 comments:

Kearsten said...

I'm still upset with the Internet quiz that said I was only 56% evil...

Merideth said...

Hey!

This quiz said I'm 52% evil.

No way you're more evil than me!