Thursday, February 14, 2008

Attention Buffy Fans


If you love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, you simply must pick up Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales of the Slayers. Ever wanted to know more about the slayers who came before Buffy Summers? We got to see glimpses of them in the TV show, and those clips always made me wonder about the previous slayers. In this graphic novel, the reader follows eight slayers through a range of time periods, beginning with the prehistoric, first slayer and ending with a futuristic (but probably not final) slayer. My favorite slayer-sode was told all in rhyme, set in Medieval times, and, I am sorry to report, did not include a happy ending for our heroine, but man, what a great story! My least favorite was the German World War II slayer because I didn’t care for the art style of that one. (The art changes throughout the book, which adds to its appeal. All of the graphic novel is easy to follow visually, even for someone who may not read this format often.) I was absolutely thrilled to see that the Mayor, one of my favorite Buffy villains ever, got a cameo in a Wild West slayer story, and of course the 1970s African-American slayer had her own tale in which she fights the forces of darkness in spiked heels.

Apparently this came out in 2001, but we just got a new copy at the library, and I seized on it right away. I’m glad I did. This was fun and fast and fed my yearning for more of Joss Whedon’s crazy vampire slayer imagination. The only problem is it left me wanting even more. Why, oh why, did the show ever have to end?!!

No comments: