Friday, April 17, 2009

Two New Books



One of the advantages of working in a library is knowing what new books are coming out soon and putting them on hold. The drawback is that those books tend to arrive all at the same time. Case in point: the eight new teen books that materialized on my desk yesterday afternoon. I have to read fast (not a problem) and prioritize which titles I want to start with (a little harder).


The first book on my list is The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King. Today I'm 50 pages in and hooked. The premise is a fabulous one---female pirate, Emer, buries a great treasure right before she dies. However she is also cursed right before she dies. Emer must live 100 lives as a dog before being reincarnated as a human. Through each of these lives she retains her memory and knowledge of her first life as a pirate. Which means that when Emer is finally housed in the body of Saffron, a twentieth century teenage girl, her whole focus is on getting out of suburbia and back to the Carribbean to dig up her treasure. So far I am loving this. Even if the prose is sometimes a little clunky, the humor is great. This is the most original premise I've encountered for some time. Plus, I quite like the cover, which you might remember is something that's probably more important to me that it ought to be. Call me shallow.


Second on the list, The Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Asbhy. I've got to say it's the cover that draws me to this book. That cover gets an A+. In fact I was so distracted by the cover that I had to look up a book review to remember what the book is about. In short, a teenage girl, attempting to cast a love spell, accidentally turns her entire high school into a bunch of flesh-eating zombies. Man, do I like zombies. Haven't read this yet so I can't give a review, but it's next on my to-be-read list and I have high hopes for it.

No comments: