Monday, July 12, 2010

Unwritten Rule

So you may know that I review for some library journals. I don't typically write up blog posts about books I review. I figure that I said it all in the review and that the post will just reiterate what I already wrote elsewhere. Then I started thinking that the audience is completely different here at the blog than say at VOYA. Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning all of this is that I want to talk about The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott.
Sarah has had a crush on Ryan since eighth grade. At the end of summer party, he was talking to her. And then Brianna saw him. Brianna is her best friend. She's gorgeous and gets all the guys. But this one guy is the only one Sarah has wanted and now Brianna has him. Torn between liking Ryan and being a good best friend, Sarah's guilt eats at her. And then Ryan kisses her. What's a girl to do when she's broken the unwritten rule in best friendship?
I thoroughly enjoyed this realistic chick lit title. Scott created a fully realized character in Sarah. Even Ryan, the love triangle guy (which in most books is a stock character) has dimensions to him. The only thing I can negatively about it is the cover. Barefoot, really? Sarah is all about her 20+sneakers that she designs herself. Why couldn't that have been there too?
Anyway, if you like relationship novels like the author Sarah Dessen, then you should immediately go read this book. I think you'll enjoy it.

No comments: