Saturday, August 07, 2010

hunger games, catching fire, and mockingjay...


So I'm re-reading Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins to prepare for Mockingjay, the third book in the series, which comes out on the 24th of this month. I noticed that only Karen wrote anything about The Hunger Games when it first came out. That surprised me. I came into the series a little late in the game. We were going to do a Catching Fire release party so I needed to read Hunger Games to be ready for it. While everyone was gushing over HG, I was thinking that it probably wasn't much different from Battle Royale. Boy was I wrong. I mean, it's natural to compare the two titles. They do have a lot of similarities. But while BR is all about death. HG is about survival. I liked that. I liked that a lot. Not that I didn't adore BR, because I did. It's just nice to see survival being a pivotal plot point.

Catching Fire was probably more enjoyable to me because I could see more of the world Collins' created. Some people thought this was the weaker of the two books--which is understandable. It doesn't stand on its own. It has a horrible cliffhanger. But that's what the second book in a trilogy does for the trilogy bridges the reader from book one to three. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit now. What I was trying to accomplish here is to let you all know that the third book is coming this month. You can put it on hold on the library catalog. The Foothills Library is having a Mockingjay release party the release day that should be lots of fun--oh and you can win the book as well. And the movie is coming in late 2011. Can't wait to see how they do HG. Gotta get back to my book now!

No comments: