Thursday, September 09, 2010

The Stuff of Legend

This is a very different graphic novel. The boogeyman! Give me a break! However, once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. I actually picked up the book because of the cover, the angry looking teddy bear caught my interest.

The idea of toys and a puppy going to the rescue of a boy abducted by the boogeyman was intriguing. Once the rescue party goes into the closet and into The Dark, the toys become real. When they become real, the reader gets to see the kind of personalities each one has and some are surprising and a little disturbing. But it is clear to see the all but one of the party is determined to get the boy back.

I became invested in the characters and admired their bravery and loyalty. The author has created some memorable and believable characters. The sepia drawings make the story otherworldly and almost make me believe that if I went into the "right" closet, that I would be in The Dark. A frightening prospect. I would not recommend this for anyone under the age of 8 as it would be a little too scary for younger readers.

I have already passed this on to another colleague. The Stuff of Legend is a unique graphic novel and a special one. I cannot wait to find out what happens next.

No comments: