Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nothing by Janne Teller

There are books that people should read to challenge their way of thinking, to stretch their literary range. This was one for me. The Printz award honor recipient also won the Danish Cultural Ministry Prize for best youth book in 2001. When Pierre Anton left school after stating that nothing means anything, he began taunted his former classmates on their way to school. In return, they decide to find meaning in giving up things with meaning. It begins innocuously enough, the narrator has to give up her coveted green sandals, but it soon escalates. Innocence, a Jesus statue, prayer mat, a dead baby brother, et cetera.


Horrific, but powerful. I had to turn away from the book several times in order to stomach some of the scenes, but I had to know how it would all turn out.


If you're looking for a book to stretch you philosophically and can appreciate realistic fiction books, then you should pick this one up and give it a try. I'll be really honest--I'm glad I read it and it won't leave me for a long time, but I don't know if I'll be able to re-read it any time in the near future.

No comments: