Thursday, October 20, 2011

Teens' Top Ten

Every year in the libraryland we celebrate Teen Read Week, an annual encouragement to teens to read for fun. This year the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) announced the winners of Teens' Top Ten to kick off the week. What is Teens' Top Ten you ask? A select group of teens nominate their favorite books from the last year. Then in April YALSA releases the nominees so teens can read them over the summer. Then in August and September teens vote online for their overall favorites.



This year's winner is Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel.
The first book in her Infernal Devices series is set in Victorian London. Tessa follows her brother to London after he mysteriously stops communicating to her and her search leads her into London's supernatural underworld. This series is the prequel to the Mortal Instruments series.

To be perfectly honest, I tried to read this book. I really wanted to like it. I really really did. I love the whole steampunk/supernatural elements. I just could not finish it. I kept putting it aside for another book and then another book and then... You get the picture. Maybe it's time for me to try it again--especially because the sequel is coming out soon (Clockwork Prince 12/2011)!


So the rest of the Top ten titles are below. Which ones were your favorites? What book missed the mark for you or is missing from this list?

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Matched by Ally Condie

Angel: A Maximum Ride by James Patterson

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Congratulations to Cassandra Clare and the other honorees!

No comments: