Monday, April 16, 2007

National Library Week

Since it's National Library Week, I said that I would post a blog a day about teen books. Now that it's actually here, I'm thinking why did I say I was going to do this? So I'll just chat about what I'm reading....


Now that my part of the never-ending cursed book is done and finished (hopefully), I'm trying to condense my manga collection down to a managable size. No small feat for sure since I currently have more graphic novels than a bookstore! Of course, I don't want to get rid of titles that I may want to read again, so I'm re-reading everything. That's right, everything. So far this year, I've read 142 titles. That's all types of books, as well as graphic novels. Many of those books have been put into different boxes--one to sell back to the used bookstore, one to donate to the library; and then some go back on the shelf becuase I want to continue reading the series...


Now that you have heard more about my housecleaning, you may be thinking get to the point. Sorry, so I thought today I'd write about a Boys Love manga and novel that I just re-read. Only the Ring Finger Knows by Satoru Kannagi. At Wataru's school there is a fashionable trend to wear paired rings with the one you love. Wataru wears one even though he's currently single. Through a mix-up at the bathroom sink, he discovers that his ring has a match--the idolized upperclassman Yuichi. This single volume graphic novel focuses on Wataru as he clashes with Yuichi and as he fights the attraction that's growing between them. The graphic novel is based on a novel series with the same name. The first volume, which is the one I read, has two main stories--the one I just told you about and the following story about Wataru losing his ring. Both versions of this story are fun to read. The graphic novel has all those pretty boy pictures that BL manga is known for, but the novel continues passed the graphic novel. So if you're a fan of BL and of Only the Ring Finger manga, pick up the first volume of the novel. You won't be disappointed. As for library users, you'll have to wait a little bit longer for the novel. It's in my pile to add to the library collection, but the box isn't full yet!

No comments: