Tuesday, April 03, 2007

What I’m Reading…A Shameful Confession

What I am about to reveal may have a negative impact on my perceived credibility as a contributing member of this blog, and perhaps even as a librarian.

Brace yourselves…

I never got around to reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

I don’t really have any kind of excuse. One of my Teen Library Council members did spill the beans about who dies at the end. As grumpy as I was about this, I checked out the audio version of book 6 soon after its release with the best intentions of listening to it. --- If you have never listened to an audio version of a Harry Potter book read by actor Jim Dale, you are really missing out. Jim currently holds a Guinness World Record for creating the "Most Character Voices in an Audio Book” (One Hundred and Thirty Four in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). He does a phenomenal job of creating character voices that really fit the character. I can’t even begin to imagine how he keeps all of the different voices straight. --- But, for some reason, I just never did. There was a patron waiting list, so I returned the audio book to the library in order to give some true Potter fan the chance to enjoy it.

Seeing how book seven: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is due to be released on July 21, 2007, I figured that it was time to get busy and listen to book 6. I am pleased to say that I am currently halfway through it. Unfortunately, it’s taking me a while to listen to the whole thing because of the tough commute-time listening competition it faces against a new music CD that a friend of mine just gave me: LIFE IN CARTOON MOTION by Mika (an amazing CD…I can’t get track number 4 Love Today out of my head).

No comments: