Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Eon, Dragoneye Reborn

First of all, let it be known that I LOVE dragon stories! So of course, when I saw the cover of this book and read the dust jacket, I had to read it. What a wonderful novel, it exceeded my expectation of a good read.

I always enjoy the idea of a strong female in a predominately male society. Naturally the catch is that Eon must keep the secret that "he" is a she. Eon is put forth as a candidate to become a Dragoneye, an apprentice to one of twelve very special dragons. Eon also has an extra ability, she can "see" all twelve dragons. Her training is exhausting and extremely hard, however, she and her master are determined to make through to the end.

Goodman, does a masterful job in describing Eon's trials as she trains and gains the skills she will need to succeed. The rich descriptions made me feel as if I was by Eon's side and was witnessing the action for myself. The characters are interesting and engaging, even the ones that I did not like. This is a fast paced book with a great mix of martial arts, magic and drama. I cannot wait until the second book comes out. I gather it is in 2010, I just do not know if I can wait that long!

This is a big book, 531 pages long, but reads so fast and enjoyably that you are done before you know it. It was definitely a page turned and I regretted that it had to end. I would most certainly recommend Eon to any reader that likes action, interesting characters and a good plot.

No comments: