Monday, March 23, 2009

Spirit

I read the dust jacket and just had to read this book. It sounded interesting and certainly sounded like a more than run of the mill witch tale. I figured it would only take a few pages and I would be in its grip.

Well, I was REALLY mistaken. After reading the prologue, I was patting myself on the back for picking a good thriller. Unfortunately, I started on chapter 1 and found I did not like the characters. The more I read, the more I disliked them. Obviously, they was something about them that made them extraordinary individuals. They were witch hunters.

The author's writing style did not appeal, it was just too old fashion for me. If I wanted something like that I would read H. P. Lovecraft. It is completely devoid of any kind of pleasantry. It is so dark that the reader got dragged down and it was very difficult to want to read on anymore.

I read the last few pages and I did not even care that Tobias and Tess wound up in a rather ugly ending. What a waste of time. I managed to get approximately halfway through it and then thought, "I can't do this anymore!" There are probably other readers who will pick this up and like it. That's what's so great about reading, we all have our particular tastes and I'm glad there are writers for each of those tastes.

No comments: