Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Break My Heart 1,000 Times


I haven't been excited about very many teen books lately. It's something to do with so many new titles sounding the same. i mean first, it was vampires, then anything paranormal, now it's dystopian and all the time it's romance. Blah! I know, I know. I should be lynched for writing that! But hey, the library still buys all those dystopian, paranormal love triangle books!

But then comes along this book, Break My Heart 1,000 Times by Daniel Waters. I picked it up through Net Galley--so hey, thanks to Hyperion for sharing it with me!



After the Event, there are ghosts every where. Seriously, every where. And now instead of getting lesser ghosts around, new ones are popping up like the teacher who appeared in class one day at the chalkboard. Veronica and her friend Kirk investigate and film ghosts who have died to help a teacher with his own hypotheses about the dead and their left behind images. The investigation leads them straight into a man who believes he can make his dead daughter re-appear if he takes matters into his own hands.

Wowzers, I really liked this book. I read it during my tiny breaks at work and I kept having to tell myself to get back to work. There's a great amount of suspense building throughout the book. Waters slowly unveils the different "shocks" in such a manner that because I'm reading an advanced copy, I'd pause and think "Is that a mistake or omg is he that nutty?" (In case you're curious, he's that nutty).

The characters are sooo good in this novel. The side characters aren't forgotten and actually grow throughout it. Veronica and Kirk are good together as they date and ghost hunt. The ghosts themselves are beautifully memorable as well.

I've already talked this book up to my teens at the library--well, it might have been gushing about the book.

Break My Heart 1,000 Times is hauntingly beautiful. If you're looking for something new and different to read this fall--you need to read this one. 

No comments: