Monday, March 26, 2007

Whatcha readin'?

So I've been sick. I didn't want to do anything but lay (or is it lie?) in bed and play my DS. I was pathetic. I could have at least been watching some good DVDs or catching up on anime or something. But like I said, pathetic. So when I wasn't playing my DS (the game was Zookeeper, if you care to know) I was reading getting caught up on the books on my bedside table. Mainly because I had no room for my box of kleenex... Anyway, so I read through several graphic novels, a Janet Evanovich book, and several more graphic novels. Since Merideth's last post was on a story told in three ways, I figure taht I'll give you another set of three's.


Alex Rider is a 14 year old British teen whose guardian and uncle was a spy for the MI6--think James Bond. When his uncle dies, MI6 asks/demands that Alex finish his uncle's work. Know what I'm talkin' about? That's right, Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz. This action packed book has a fun plot, a great protagonist, and humor thrown in to keep it interesting. The first book of the Alex Rider series has also morphed into something more.


Last year, the novel was adapted into a graphic novel--called , yup Stormbreaker. Adapted by a good comic book writer, Antony Johnston. The comic brings the action and the character, Alex, to life. The artwork is splendid. Really, for a manga snob like myself to say it's good is something to note! The two sister team, one living in Japan, the other in London did a great job with the colors and look of the characters. Honestly, I just thought that Alex was adorable looking in the comic... And Mr. Grin had a creepy clown appeal that worked for me. So this is a shortened version of the book, but pretty-well adapted. Even though the book is a fan favorite with boys and reluctant readers, the graphic novel will still introduce the character to some who haven't heard of the book.
And now for the third, Stormbreaker. Last fall, a movie was released called Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker. It didn't do so hot in the theater from what I gather, but then again it didn't have much of a promotion behind either. So is it a good movie? A good adaptation of a bestselling action novel? I have no idea. I haven't watched it yet. But you can be the judge of the movie versus the book and let me know! The DVD is out now and we have it at the library. It has some known actors in the movie--not the one who plays Alex though. And for what it's worth, I'm betting it can't be as bad as Eragon....

No comments: