Thursday, October 30, 2008

If I had superpowers...

I wonder what type of superpowers I would want if I had them. When watching Heroes I think that Peter Petrelli's powers are pretty cool, but then I would have to remember everyone's names and powers. And let's be honest, I don't have that great of a memory for anything but book and movie plots. Then there's Claire--never being able to die (and of course this season, feel pain). Cool, right? Being impervious to pretty much everything. Then we met Adam and let's face it immortality probably is overrated. Who would want to have to work forever! So I don't know what superpower I'd want. I'd like to think I'd use my powers for good if I had them, but who knows. More likely, I'd use them to further my laziness!

Anyway, you're probably wondering why I'm rambling on about this. I have a point really, I do. I just finished this fast-paced science fiction, action novel by Michael Carroll called The Awakening.

The first book in the Quantum Prophecy series focuses on Colin and his friend Danny. It's the tenth anniversary of Mystery Day, the day superhumans vanished from earth. For homework, Colin has to write a four page essay on what it would be like to be a superhuman. He tries to think how a super villian would rationalize their evilness, but can't make it work out. He thinks about the ability to fly so he could be a star athlete. He can't focus on his school work to well, because his best friend Danny did something odd and incredible after school. He saved a girl from being hit by a bus. The odd part of it was it happened too fast to be physically possible, unless...

And that's when Colin thinks that Danny may have superhuman abilities. The it gets really weird. The next night, Colin can hear things he should never be hearing--the water for the tea kettle being started four houses away, and Danny and his father coming to visit his family really late at night, and even worse, a helicopter pilot speaking about taking the boys alive is the number one priority--everyone else is dispensable.

Colin and Danny are kidnapped and Colin's parents are hostages. Who took them? What are they wanting to do with two teen boys who have just discovered their abilities? And where are they going?

All this and more is answered within the pages of The Awakening. It's a fast-paced read. I finished it in just a few hours. Will Colin and Danny end up good guys or villains, I don't know, but this first book is just the beginning. I'll have to pick up book 2 at the bookstore to see what will happen next!

No comments: